How to Engage Your Employees in Your Strategic Plan
Forward-looking local governments and other public sector agencies understand the value of executing on their strategy–however, the most innovative of these organizations are not taking a traditional route in developing and implementing their strategic plans.
Today, savvy public sector leaders are working closely with their employees to create comprehensive strategic roadmaps that connect their vision, goals, and mandate with intentional and measurable actions. However, today’s strategic roadmaps are often complex, multi-year documents that require juggling numerous priorities and multiple stakeholders.
Implementing such expansive plans can feel like a daunting task—but it doesn’t have to be!
The secret to successfully implementing your strategic plan isn’t in developing a swanky-looking PDF (although, we love that!) or simply spending more money–rather, the secret to successful execution is engaging your employees in your strategic efforts.
This guide will provide a series of best practices and tactics for engaging employees in the strategic planning process and your strategic plan.
Download the guide and get ideas, real examples, and resources to help you:
- Identify and understand the role of internal champions
- Involve employees early in the strategic planning process
- Build a progress and performance reporting strategy that puts your strategic plan at the center of your organization
- Link budget to strategy
- Communicate the “why” behind your strategic plan
- Use gamification techniques to encourage employee engagement